Where I live, the expression, "I'm going marketing", is common.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tan Elaine

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
Where I live, the expression, "I'm going marketing", is common.

Is the comma after "expression" and the one before "is" required?

Thanks.

No. You don't need either of them. You need only the one after "live".

Note that "I'm going marketing" is not natural in English.

What was wrong with the answers you received on the other forum, Tan Elaine? You seemed to like them a few hours ago.

You have been doing this for some time now, Tan Elaine [link], ignoring teechar's explanation of why you should not do so:

Please do not post the same question simultaneously to more than one forum. Doing so wastes our valuable time. Instead, post your question to one forum and wait for replies. If you're not satisfied with those replies, you can try another forum, but please indicate in your thread that you've already asked the same question elsewhere (provide a link), and outline why you were not satisfied with the answers you received already.

If you do not comply with our request we will reluctantly ban you.

The Macmillan dictionary recognizes "do the marketing" as old fashioned American English for "shop for food and drink" and I have certainly heard it so used. It is only a tiny step from there to "I am going marketing" and I cannot believe it does not exist, although the Corpus of American English has no examples.

Where did you get this text Tan_Elaine?

Last edited:
The Macmillan dictionary recognizes "do the marketing" as old fashioned American English for "shop for food and drink" and I have certainly heard it so used. It is only a tiny step from there to "I am going marketing" and I cannot believe it does not exist, although the Corpus of American English has no examples. . . .
I've never heard it. What happens in Hong Kong stays in Hong Kong!

(These days, marketing has more to do with selling than buying: Mattel is marketing drones heavily this year.)

Note that "I'm going marketing" is not natural in English.

Not if you're going to the market.

I wouldn't even find it natural if the other definition of "marketing" was intended. I would expect "I'm going to do some marketing" or something similar.

I wouldn't even find it natural if the other definition of "marketing" was intended. I would expect "I'm going to do some marketing" or something similar.
Nope. Marketers don't go marketing. They market. (And if they want me to buy, they'll mark it down!)

But it's less unlikely than buying fruit from a stall. ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back