Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
Merriam-Webster's dictionary gives two possibilities. You may put the stress on both the first or the second syllable, whereas a Cambbridge dictionary gives only one where the stress goes on the second syllable. Where do native speakers put the stress?

Merriam-Webster's dictionary gives two possibilities. You may put the stress on both the first or the second syllable, whereas a Cambbridge dictionary gives only one where the stress goes on the second syllable. Where do native speakers put the stress?
I put the stress on the second syllable. I have heard southern (US) speakers put the stress on the first.

I put the stress on the second syllable. I have heard southern (US) speakers put the stress on the first.
I put the stress on the second syllable too.

Is it only southeners who put the stress on the first syllable? It doesn't give amy regional definition.

Second syllable for me too.

HOtel
POlice
DEtroit
JUly

Source [p131]

I put the stress on the second syllable too.

Me too, when it's function is as a noun: 'You'll be staying in a[n - that's a whole nother question ;-)] hoTEL.'

But when it's used with an adjectival function (what was called, in former times, a 'noun in apposition'), I put the stress on the first syllable: 'He's doing a course in HOtel management.'

b

Me too, when it's function is as a noun: 'You'll be staying in a[n - that's a whole nother question ;-)] hoTEL.'

But when it's used with an adjectival function (what was called, in former times, a 'noun in apposition'), I put the stress on the first syllable: 'He's doing a course in HOtel management.'

b
Agreed. As for the "nother question" I say "AN-oTEL".;-)

When you become a guest in a hotel, you need to recognize that you are moving into a temporary communal living situation. Of course, you have your private room, but you are sill under one roof with others. You share some of the hotel's features with many other people. Therefore, the hotel has set up a few reasonable guidelines to maintain a cordial atmosphere and to avert utter confusion.

When you become a guest in a hotel, you need to recognize that you are moving into a temporary communal living situation. Of course, you have your private room, but you are sill under one roof with others. You share some of the hotel's features with many other people. Therefore, the hotel has set up a few reasonable guidelines to maintain a cordial atmosphere and to avert utter confusion.

Well, we were talking about a slightly different thing:-D What syllable do people put the stress on?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back