Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Where do I insert the commas in this sentence.

Napolean is proficent with a bow staff throwing stars and a club.

Where do I insert the commas in this sentence?

Hi and welcome.

Please have a try at this yourself first and then we'll comment on the attempt.

Napolean, is a proficent with a bow staff, throwing stars and a club.

Can someone please help!!!

1) Please be patient. We are volunteers doing this in our free time.
2) Why have you added the word "a" in your attempt?
3) Your profile says that your native language is English and that you are Canadian. Are you sure that's accurate?

I must of signed up wrong. However, that is the sentence my teacher gave me. It says right out the book.

this sentence doesnt even make sense to me at all that is why Im confused to where I would put commas.

I second emsr2d2's points. I'll add two.

i) Please check the spellings of the words you are using. Some are incorrect.
ii) In your attempt there is one comma too many. Which do you think is incorrect?

Ok, I am sorry but I am copying EXACTLY what it says in the book! Yes I know that it is spelt wrong, but that is the way my teacher spelt it , so I am copying exactly what it says!
So is there only a comma after Napolean?

Ok, I am sorry but I am copying EXACTLY what it says in the book! Yes I know that it is spelt wrong, but that is the way my teacher spelt it , so I am copying exactly what it says!
So is there only a comma after Napolean?
No. This is the one that is incorrect. We do not place a comma between the subject and the verb in a sentence.

In your first post, the sentence was:

In your attempt, it suddenly said "is a proficient".

I suggest that you point out to your teacher that the book contains one spelling error just in this one question. Perhaps a different (better) book would be a good idea.

I will give you the answer just this one time. In the future, you will need to read the various suggestions and pieces of advice by other people, and use them to work out the answer yourself. To be fair, unless you know the names of a couple of weapons, this is a difficult sentence to punctuate (and those words would not be obvious in a dictionary).

The correct answer is:

Napoleon is proficient with a bow, staff, throwing stars and a club.

There are four weapons with which Napoleon is proficient:

1) A bow
2) A staff
3) Throwing stars
4) A club

Now that you know that, look those up in a dictionary and you will discover what types of weapon they are.

As Birdeen's Call already said, there would be no need to put a comma after "Napoleon".

I
The correct answer is:

Napoleon is proficient with a bow, staff, throwing stars and a club.

There are four weapons with which Napoleon is proficient:

1) A bow
2) A staff
3) Throwing stars
4) A club

Now that you know that, look those up in a dictionary and you will discover what types of weapon they are.

As Birdeen's Call already said, there would be no need to put a comma after "Napoleon".
Actually, I think the comma between "bow" and "staff" is incorrect. It could be correct of course, but I believe "bow staff" is what was meant. I do not know whether "bow" is a misspelling here. I have a found places on the web where the two spellings are used interchangably and places where they denote two different things.

I must of signed up wrong. However, that is the sentence my teacher gave me. It says right out the book.
If you made a mistake signing up, please change your profile so that it shows your correct location and native language.

Actually, I think the comma between "bow" and "staff" is incorrect. It could be correct of course, but I believe "bow staff" is what was meant. I do not know whether "bow" is a misspelling here. I have a found places on the web where the two spellings are used interchangably and places where they denote two different things.

I agree. The "bo staff" or "bow staff" is a martial arts weapon.

I would write:

Napolean is proficent with a bow staff, throwing stars, and a club.

The last comma (before the "and") is optional and is a matter of style.

Ah, my mistake then. I have never heard of a bow staff and didn't think to look it up. I just automatically saw "bow" and "staff" as two separate weapons.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back