Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Hi.

Are the following sentences natural? Would native speakers use them?

1) When we are committed to something, it means that no matter how painful or how uncomfortable something is, we will always choose to face it and work it through instead of running away from it.

2) An investigation of the relative effectiveness of various swimstrokes would have to detail the number of swimmers tested, the nature of the tests conducted, the experience of the swimmers, the weather conditions at the time of the tests, and any other factors that contributed to the overall experiment.

If they are nonsense, please feel free to tell me.

Last edited:
Re: When were are committed to....

1) When we are committed to something, it means that no matter how painful or [how] uncomfortable [STRIKE]something[/STRIKE] it is, we will always choose to face it and work through it [strike]through[/strike] instead of running away. [STRIKE]from it.[/STRIKE]

See above.

In case it's not clear from my markup, the second "how" is optional.

I appreciate your help, emsr2d2.

I don't see any comments on the second sentence, does it mean that the sentence is okay?

You've been here long enough to know that we encourage users to post just one question per thread. Consequently, I ignored sentence 2.

Moderator Alert: The title of this thread needs to be corrected. ;-)

We don't correct typos in titles. We only fix titles when they don't include any relevant words from the post.

We don't correct typos in titles. We only fix titles when they don't include any relevant words from the post.

I did not know that. You've been a mod much longer than I so I assume you are right.

I did not know that. You've been a mod much longer than I so I assume you are right.

Of course, if a mod wants to correct a typo, they can!

Silver can correct the title himself by clicking Edit Post and then Go Advanced (within 24 hours of the OP).

You've been here long enough to know that we encourage users to post just one question per thread. Consequently, I ignored sentence 2.

If memory serves, you told me to post two sentences per thread, not ten sentences. But I now know what you meant, I can ask two sentences but for the longer ones, one sentence per thread.

It's nothing to do with number of sentences. Use as many as you need to make your question clear.

The idea in Ask a Teacher is each question in its own thread.

Last edited by a moderator:

It's nothing to do with number of sentences. Use as many as you need to make your question clear.

The idea in Ask aTeacher is each question in its own thread.

Yes, I know this. One question per thread in Ask a Teacher.

I asked two sentences this time because ems once told me I could ask two sentences only each time. Maybe she thinks that now I'm not sending sentences but paragraphs.

Yes, I know this. One question per thread in Ask a Teacher.

I asked two sentences this time because ems once told me I could ask two sentences only each time. Maybe she thinks that now I'm not sending sentences but paragraphs.

(Not a teacher)

It has nothing to do with the quantity of sentences or paragraphs.

1/ On Ask a Teacher(AAT), people can ask specific questions, i.e. the usage of words, phrases, grammatical question or correction of a sentence, etc. Of course, people can provides many paragraphs or sentences as the context if necessary for teachers or language experts to understand the specific question which is only one.

2/ If people post a (huge) paragraph, or several pargraphs if they are relevant or a piece of writing requesting for proofreading, I think these should be posted on Editing and Writing. (Logically irrelevant paragraphs should be separated in different threads.)

3/ Come to the issue you concern, some threads of yours I've read have two sentences for proofreading. Probably you should separate them in two different threads on AAT. It is no harm to separate them as the two sentences are not relevant.

eg1. Are the following sentences natural?

A) I prefer buying this book.
B) I prefer to buy this book.

These are two questions. They are logically irrelavant or I don't make the connection between the questions.

eg2. Would someone please tell me what the difference between 'prefer doing' and 'prefer to do' is?

A) I prefer buying this book.
B) I prefer to buy this book.

This is just one specific question. Sentence A) and Sentence B) are considered as the context. And they are relevant.

This is my understanding about this forum code as a fellow member. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Hi.

Are the following sentences natural? Would native speakers use them?

1) When we're committed to something, it means that no matter how painful or [STRIKE]how[/STRIKE] uncomfortable something is, we'll always choose to face it and work it through instead of running away [STRIKE]from it[/STRIKE].

It was good as written, but the changes I made make it slightly more natural.

2) An study of the relative effectiveness of various swimstrokes would have to detail the number of swimmers tested, the nature of the tests conducted, the experience of the swimmers, the weather conditions at the time of the tests, and any other factors that would affect performance.

This one wordy, but it's fine in a professional setting.

If they are nonsense, please feel free to tell me.
There you go!

An study of the relative effectiveness of various swimstrokes

Effectiveness (efficacy?) does not sound scientific; efficiency (which can be quantified) might be better.

I know they don't mean the same thing. Effectiveness is being able to produce the intended result or serve a purpose. I don't know how that can be applied to comparing the various strokes in swimming. The different strokes serve the same purpose, i.e. enables a swimmer to go from A to B.

It makes sense if it is the speed or efficiency of the strokes that is being compared.

Last edited:
I know they don't mean the same thing. Effectiveness is being able to produce the intended result or serve a purpose. I don't know how that can be applied to comparing the various strokes in swimming. The different strokes serve the same purpose, i.e. enables a swimmer to go from A to B.

It makes sense if it is the speed or efficiency of the strokes that is being compared.

Absolutely right—effectiveness seems to be the wrong word. This appears to be about efficiency.

There you go!

An study of the relative effectiveness of various swimstrokes would have to detail the number of swimmers tested, the nature of the tests conducted, the experience of the swimmers, the weather conditions at the time of the tests, and any other factors that would affect performance.

I went over my sentences in my notebook today. Is it natural to say "An study"?

It's often a case of personal preference and the amount of time responders have to spare. I am generally put off by any post that runs to more than about five or six lines of text in total.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back