Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
I'm trying to describe a situation when someone turns on the fireplace.

Can I say "flicker to life" ?

Is this correct?

Jack stacked the logs in the fireplace. He turned on the lighter and touched it to the pile of wood, and the fireplace flickered to life with a faint whoosh. The fire was tepid, casting a dim glow over the room.

I'm trying to describe a situation when someone [STRIKE]turns on the fireplace[/STRIKE] lights a fire [in a fireplace].

Can I say "flicker to life"? Don't leave a space before a question mark.

Is this correct?

Jack stacked the logs in the fireplace. He [STRIKE]turned on[/STRIKE] lit the lighter, [STRIKE]and[/STRIKE] touched it to the pile of wood, and the fireplace flickered into life with a faint whoosh. The fire was tepid, casting only a dim glow over the room.

See above. Come up with another word for "tepid". Generally, we use that to refer to water or food.

See above. Come up with another word for "tepid". Generally, we use that to refer to water or food.

Are these okay?

Tentative fire
gentle fire
tame fire

Why not cut it down to the fire only cast a dim glow...?

They don't hit the spot for me.

Do you have suggestions?

What about these?

feckless fire
mild fire
tenuous

Maybe you could say it was a small fire.

The smaller a fire is the less heat it produces. But all fires are hot regardless.

I suppose he could put another log on the fire if it wasn't hot enough.

Do you have suggestions?

What about these?

feckless fire
mild fire
tenuous

No, none of those work either. We don't have a great number of adjectives for a fire in a fireplace, particularly one that isn't burning very fiercely. In fact, I can't really think of a natural one. I'd say something like "The fire was barely alight and cast only a dim glow into the room" or "The low flames cast ...".

We're much more descriptive about a decent fire - roaring, blazing, etc.

A feckless fire would be spitting sparks and damaging the rug.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back