[Grammar] when I have to use which Vs in which ( relative clauses ) in the following example

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mohammad Sheef

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Saudi Arabia
Current Location
Saudi Arabia
6. I was impressed by the way …………… she did it.
a. which b. whom c. where d. in which

The answer in this example is " in which " why we use in which not which ?

what's the difference between which and in which in the previous example.

Thanks

6. I was impressed by the way …………… she did it.
a. which
b. whom
c. where
d. in which The answer in this example is "in which". Why do we use "in which", not "which"?

What's the difference between "which" and "in which" in the previous example?

Thanks.

Welcome to the forum. :hi:

The clue is in the words "the way". We say that we "do something in a certain way". Consequently, when you refer to that thing being done in that way, and you want to use "which", you need to include "in" before "which".

The exercise should have given you another option - "None of them is required". Most native speakers would say "I was impressed with the way she did it".

Please note my corrections above. Mark out all the words you're asking about in quotation marks. Don't put a space before a full stop, comma, question mark or exclamation mark. Remember, in future, that there is no need to thank us in advance. After we help you, thank us by clicking on the "Thank" button.

And don't put a space after an opening quotation mark or before a closing one.

A further option is to use a non-wh relative:

"I was impressed by the way (that) she did it."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back