What's the meaning of "with which" ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

likeke

Member Type
Student or Learner
"And she formed bonds with her reasonable and low-key roommates, which might be expected, considering the reverence with which the concept of family is discussed among them."

"The agent who executes the killing does not commit homicide; he is an instrument as is the sword with which he cuts."

'Kravis thinks Berkshire, with its piles of cash and trove of publicly traded shares with which to make acquisitions, is nothing less than “the perfect private-equity model.”'

I don't understand the meaning of "with which."

I try to mentally replace it with "which," but then the sentence is incomprehensible.

I have a feeling that it's more simple than it looks.

Can someone please explain it to me.:lol:

"And she formed bonds with her reasonable and low-key roommates, which might be expected, considering the reverence with which the concept of family is discussed among them."

"The agent who executes the killing does not commit homicide; he is an instrument as is the sword with which he cuts."

'Kravis thinks Berkshire, with its piles of cash and trove of publicly traded shares with which to make acquisitions, is nothing less than “the perfect private-equity model.”'

I don't understand the meaning of "with which." In the sentences above "Which" is a pronoun referring back to the nouns that it represents.

Let's look at two simpler sentences.
1...I need a reliable car with which I can get to work every day. The pronoun "which" refers back to "a reliable car".
2...The police are looking for the gun with which the victim was shot. "which" refers back to "the gun".

In your sentences "with which" has the same function. Can you tell me the nouns that "which" represents in those sentences?

1. "And she formed bonds with her reasonable and low-key roommates, which might be expected, considering the reverence with which the concept of family is discussed among them."

2. "The agent who executes the killing does not commit homicide; he is an instrument as is the sword with which he cuts."

3. 'Kravis thinks Berkshire, with its piles of cash and trove of publicly traded shares with which to make acquisitions, is nothing less than “the perfect private-equity model.”'

I try to mentally replace it with "which," but then the sentence is incomprehensible.

In sentence number one, the which represents the reverence

In sentence number two, the which represents the sword

And in sentence number three, the which represents traded shares

I'm not a teacher nor a native,but I think I might help you with this issue.
they're clearly attributive clauses.look at this way,

"the reverence with which the concept of family is discussed among them",
<==>the concept of family is discussed among them with the reverence .

"the sword with which he cuts."
<==>He cuts with the sword .

"trove of publicly traded shares with which to make acquisitions."
<==>to make acquisitions with trove of publicly traded shares .

Does it help?

Last edited:
In sentence number one, the which represents the reverence yes

In sentence number two, the which represents the sword yes

And in sentence number three, the which represents traded shares not just "traded shares"
"its piles of cash and trove of publicly traded shares" :tick:
Don't be lazy; put a period at the end of the sentences.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back