[Grammar] What's the different between "transitive and intransitive verb"?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Destroyer

Member Type
Student or Learner
Could you help me; I would really like to just have a moment of your time for my question; thanks.
I appreciate it.

Transitive verb requires an object e.g. enjoy music, read newspaper

Intranstive verb does not require an object e.g. swim, dance, shout.

not a teacher

Could you help me; I would really like to just have a moment of your time for my question; thanks.

I appreciate it.

***** NOT A TEACHER *****

Good morning, Destroyer.

(1) I think that many books explain that a transitive verb requires an actor who does something to the object:

(a) I eat an apple.

(i) I am the actor; I do something to the apple.

(2) An intransitive verb has only an actor.

(a) On the weekends, I don't do anything except eat.

(i) I am the actor, but there is no object.

(3) If you study a good dictionary, you will learn which verbs are usually transitive, intransitive, or both (such as "eat").

(4) This is a pretty difficult matter. For example:

(a) I eat fast. = intransitive. No object. ("fast" is only an adverb telling you how I eat.)

(b) A cookie was eaten. = transitive because:

(i) That is a passive sentence that means something like "I/ you/ he/she ate a cookie."

(a) We have an actor (I/you/she/he).
(b) We have an object (a cookie).

Thank you for the question.

A t[STRIKE]T[/STRIKE]ransitive verb requires an object e.g. enjoy music, read newspaper

An i[STRIKE]I[/STRIKE]ntransitive verb does not require an object e.g. swim, dance, shout.:?:

not a teacher

Bear in mind that some words can be both. You can both shout and shout a command. You can both dance and dance the tango. You can both swim and swim a mile (though in the last two cases there are arguments for seeing the tango and a mile as adverbial).

When a waiter says Enjoy, some people would say it's 'just wrong, because "enjoy" is transitive'', some people would say there's an implied object [the food], and some people would say it's fine. ;-)

b

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back