guzhao67

Member Type
Native Language
French
Home Country
France
Current Location
China
Dear teacher: could you explain, with examples if you'd like to, the meaning of Standard English? thank you very much

Dear teacher: could you explain, with examples if you'd like to, the meaning of Standard English? thank you very much

***** NOT A TEACHER *****

guzhao, good morning.

(1) I think that Standard English is just another word for "good" English. In other words, the English used by the majority of educated people.

(2) For example, nowadays you hear many young (and not so young) people say: Me and my friend are. ...PLEASE don't say that. Standard English still calls for: My friend and I are. ...

(3) On the other hand, sometimes it's difficult to know what Standard English is.

(a) For example, your grammar book probably tells you to say: It is I. Yet most native speakers probably say: It is me. And many well-educated people now say and write it.

(4) One way to learn Standard English is to read a reputable newspaper. Study the grammar, vocabulary, and punctuation that is used in its articles. A serious newspaper is a reliable teacher.

Good luck.

There's a lot of debate, often heated, about the term- whether we should talk of Standard Englishes to include the variants, or whether the term should be used at all. It can be, as The Parser says, very difficult to say what it is- it is often easier to say what it isn't.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back