Member Type
Academic
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
Hey guys, I've been having a quasi-identity crisis when it comes to my accent lately, and I thought it'd be a good idea to get an opinion from the experts as to just where exactly on the map my accent is.

http://vocaroo.com/i/s18j9TiwMkGZ

Yeah, yeah, I stumbled on my words a lot more than I should have, but I never said I was a smooth talker.

Thanks for looking through this!

Your accent, in my opinion, is far more on the AmE side than the BrE side, which is a little surprising given your history. It is not identifiable with any particular region. Very slight Asian notes, but beyond that, who knows?

It sounds more AmE to me too.

When I taught in Hong Kong, I noticed that nearly all students at international schools had a mostly AmE accent with a few oddities from BrE such as 'all' being pronounced the British way.

Thanks for your responses!

It's interesting that you say that konunursvia, because I did study at an international school before I went to the UK. That said, my school followed a more British curriculum and most of my teachers were British, so I guess that only makes it more unlikely that I did wind up with a more AmE accent.

probus, I think it's those slight Asian notes that do throw most people off, although they're apparently more noticeable to me than to others. I will say that while many people I've talked to have assumed that I was American, I don't think any American has ever assumed that I was a native. Although that said, there were a few Americans who assumed I was British-born even without my mentioning that I studied in the UK, so that's something to consider.

Yes, it sounds much more American or Canadian, though no place in particular other than northward. Your TH's sound like D's, which happens a lot in the urban Northeast U.S. or Ireland.

I had a friend in Connecticut who had a neighbor named Larry de Pilla. She mentioned him to another friend who had never met Larry.

A week later, she saw the friend, who said, "Hey, I met your neighbor Larry. I don't think he looks like no pillow!"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back