[Vocabulary] What would you call someone who's watched a show for a very long time?

Status
Not open for further replies.

khanhhung2512

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Vietnam
I'm thinking about "a perennial/long-time/long-standing/seasoned/veteran spectator/viewer" or "a veteran". Although I speculate that "a loyal spectator/viewer" might suffice, I'm looking for terms that stress the long time period.
Do you have any suggestions?
Thanks so much.

Last edited:
NOT A TEACHER
I could watch "Who Wants to Be a Millionaire" for only a month and become a big fan of the show. Am I wrong?
What I really need are some terms that emphasize the long time period.
Anyway, thank you for your answer.

The word "fan" is not about a time period. One can be a fan for a month or for several years. It has to start somewhere.

Obiter, I've just updated some new terms I can think of to the original post.
NOT A TEACHER

A long-time fan.
A long-standing fan.
A fan from/since the very beginning.

devotee
addict
junkie
aficionado
fanatic

NOT A TEACHER
A long-time fan.
A long-standing fan.
How about my suggestions? Are they OK?
I'm thinking about "a perennial/long-time/long-standing/seasoned/veteran spectator/viewer" or "a veteran". Although I speculate that "a loyal spectator/viewer" might suffice, I'm looking for terms that stress the long time period.
Here's an example I've found for "perennial".
William Walls III, once an aide to Mayor Washington, is a perennial candidate. (New York Times, Feb 17, 2015)
http://www.vocabulary.com/dictionary/#word=perennial

As a side note, in my opinion, some people can follow a show for very long time, and still are not really fans.

devotee
addict
junkie
aficionado
fanatic
I think what I really need are words more neutral which mean "someone who's watched a show for very long time" only. Although "veteran" and "seasoned" imply "experienced", I surmise that "someone who's watched a show for very long time" can justifiably be considered as "experienced".
Am I wrong?

I don't see "long-term" yet. That's what I'd choose, over "long time".
"I'm a long-term fan of X."

But some nouns don't go well with some adjectives. Eg, "I'm a veteran fan" is not as good as "I'm a veteran viewer/watcher." Others might have different preferences.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back