[Essay] What should your school choose to buy – computers or books?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dude2

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
Your school has enough money to purchase either computers for students or books for the library. Which should your school choose to buy – computers or books? Use specific reasons and examples to support your recommendation.

At first glance, both books and computers can give access to the same information. For some people computers may be more convenient in terms of speed of searching for information. However, I think that it’s more appropriate to spend money on books than computers when talking about the library.
Firstly, most of the students have their own computers or other devices with access to the Internet. I don’t believe young people would go to the libraries often if there are more computers. It made sense in the past when computers were rare and expensive. I remember myself going to libraries and other public places to use computers but now purchasing of computers for the school library hardly makes sense as they will stay as furniture most of the time.
Secondly, books are getting more expensive and at the same time computers are becoming cheaper. In my opinion, school authorities should pay attention to this fact. A student, apparently, may find money to buy a computer since it will work for some years. In contrast, the very same student typically can’t afford to buy expensive paper books even if he or she really likes them because he will be done reading it in a few days. Moreover, some students may have physical restrictions and they are unable to use computers. Books should be bought to meet the needs of such students. It can be done if there will be more books in the library to avoid a queue when there is a lack of a popular book.
Finally, we can’t find all the information in computers. Of course, day by day books become digitalized, but we still have cases when a book we need exists only on paper, especially when talking about rare, old or newest books. Apart from that, the quality of scanned books, especially their pictures, graphs and photos are usually worse than when we are looking at them with our own eyes. It’s often impossible to read some of them from the screen of a computer. That’s why when students write research papers, they often have to find a book they need in the library and this is another reason why we should have more different books in the library.
In conclusion, I truly believe that despite the active implementation of modern technologies in educational processes, we should buy more books for school libraries. In my opinion, the library is just not the right place to be filled with computers considering the fact that people will not use them there very often because they have their own in their houses. The way I see it, people still like reading paper books and the library should be an exclusive place where students can touch and read them.

I think computers...

Not a teacher

Last edited by a moderator:
Who gave you the essay title? When are you going to submit your essay to your teacher/tutor to be graded or marked?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back