Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
1. John... marry a battleaxe?! God forbid! (My bold.)
2. What! She come to see me! (My bold.)
Source: Practical English Grammar: The Definitive Guide, Book IV, by Wu Pingzhong & Wu Bingwen, page 206.
In the above quotations, are the bare infinitives in the present subjunctive mood?

Last edited:
Everything in line 1 is correct. I'll leave it to a grammarian to comment on whether they're both subjunctive.
Line 2 is wrong. It should be either "She's come" or "She came".

I think it's meant to be said in the same sort of incredulous emphatic way as number 1, as "What? She? Come to see me? How absurd!"

Do you see what I mean?
That would make perfect sense. What a shame the textbook messed up the punctuation so badly.

Or it could simply be bad grammar.

What a shame the textbook messed up the punctuation so badly.

Are you referring to splitting up 'she' from 'come to see me', as I did with a full stop in post #3?

I don't think it's wrong to have it as a complete sentence, but yes, it's much easier to understand if you do split it up.

Are you referring to splitting up 'she' from 'come to see me', as I did with a full stop in post #3?

I don't think it's wrong to have it as a complete sentence, but yes, it's much easier to understand if you do split it up.
I can't see "She come to see me!" as a grammatically correct sentence in any context. That's how they've written it. At a push, if they'd used a question mark at the end of it, I might have worked out what they meant. As written, it's nonsense.

Bill: I suppose it's possible that Mary would come to see you.
Ben: What? She come to see me?

I think jutfrank's What! She come to see me! is possible, but I am happy with the version above.`

Come cannot be both subjunctive and infinitive. I think it's the latter.

I think. :confused:

If I had to say, I'd say it was in the subjunctive mood.

What tips the balance for me (slightly) towards the infinitive is that the -ing form is also possible:

1. What? She come to see me?
2. What? She coming to see me?

In #1, she is not actually coming to me (yet). The coming is a future situation that may not happen.
In #2, she is coming, either at the moment of speaking or as a situation that has been planned.

I would not be surprised to hear her in place of she in both utterances in casual conversation.

What tips it for me is that I see the utterances as expressing a disbelief at the very mention of the possibility. I presume that's what the context 'God forbid!' and 'What!' are meant to show.

Last edited:

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back