What number is 30 less than when multiplied by 6 times itself?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tedwonny

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
UK
I came across an IQ question - the title.

The answer is 6.

Doesn't 'when multiplied by 6 times itself' means 'a x a x a x a x a x a'?

multiply the number by '6 times itself' ?

I don't quite understand what 'times' is doing here. It would be much clearer if it's 'when multiplied by 6 itself'.

Thanks

I agree. I don't think it makes sense.
30 is less than 6 x 6 (36). But I can't see how the question is asking that.

The 'writer' (in the loosest possible sense - bozo with a spell-checker) has tried to be concise by stripping out repetition essential to the meaning:
What number is 30 less than its own value when it is multiplied six times by itself - which is pretty poorly expressed but does at least make sense. As a general case, there is no number that is less than itself!

Perhaps disentangling this tortured meaning is part of the test...?

(But I don't think Raymott meant he was agreeing with your last sentence. ;-))

b

No, I was agreeing that it's nonsense.

It's really difficult to express some (even simple) maths ideas in words. But even so, in BrE at least, we could use the word times to describe multiply- as well as the word multiply in the same phrase but that would make it rather clumsy.
multiply by 6
multiply 6 times
times by 6-
all of those would be understood.

School children would understand the meaning "times it by" 6. So times gets used even without the word multiply!
In the original I think would just have left out times itself.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back