English Teacher
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
What makes me a good friend?

This the composition title in the senior high school entrance exam of English, Henan province, China, 2013.

I think the title can be understood in two ways.

1. What should I do to become people’s good friends?

2. I’m already people’s good friend because of my good personalities. Let’ me tell you what they are.

I’d like to read your comments on my understanding.

Neither one is correct. The question is asking what qualities you possess that make your friendship valuable to people. Such qualities could include loyalty, understanding, being non-judgmental, being fun to be around, and so on.

This is the [STRIKE]composition[/STRIKE] title of a composition task

1. What should I do to become [STRIKE]people’s[/STRIKE] good friends with someone?

2. I’m already [STRIKE]people’s[/STRIKE] a good friend because of my good [STRIKE]personalities[/STRIKE] personal qualities. [STRIKE]Let’[/STRIKE] Let me tell you what they are.
That's closer to the intended meaning. The question is simply asking you to write about what you think qualifies someone (you) as a good friend.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back