Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
I think he says: What I've learned is when they attack you personally...

... what I've learnt is when they attack you personally ...

I assume learnt is used in the UK because in the few months I've been in the US, I have not really seen this variant. xD

I assume learnt is used in the UK because in the few months I've been in the US, I have not really seen this variant. xD

Yes, it is. Nigel Farage (the man speaking) is from the UK.

Strangely enough, I can hear some 'L' sounds in place of 'when' and something resembling 'he' instead of 'is', which makes me think about having my ears checked :)

Strangely enough, I can hear some 'L' sounds in place of 'when' and something resembling 'he' instead of 'is', which makes me think about having my ears checked :)

I completely agree that is sounds very much like he's but I can't hear what you mean about the 'L' sounds.

I think he says learned rather than learnt.

I completely agree that is sounds very much like he's but I can't hear what you mean about the 'L' sounds.
It may not be 'L' proper, I can't quite put my ear on it, but there's something at the end of 'when' (or in the middle of it) that prevents me from hearing it as 'when'. I'm afraid I'd have never figured it out on my own that it was 'when', but for others saying it should be 'when'.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back