Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Fill in the blank with a proper sentence.

A: Hi, Linda. I haven’t seen you for days. _________.
B: I was ill last week. I had to stay at home for several days.

(Source: the English test paper, senior high school entrance exams, Henan province, China, 2021)

I want to know if both what is the matter and what was the matter are correct.

Fill in the blank with a proper sentence.

A: Hi, Linda. I haven’t seen you for days. _________.
B: I was ill last week. I had to stay at home for several days.

(Source: the English test paper, senior high school entrance exams, Henan province, China, 2021)

I want to know if both what is the matter and what was the matter are correct.
Either one might be right. Neither one is always right. It depends on the context.

Do you see which one is correct in this context? Linda's answer gives a hint.

Thanks, Charlie.

I think what was the matter is correct because Linda says I was ill last week.

Last edited by a moderator:
Were those options actually provided as part of the test or did they just ask you to fill in the blank with something grammatical and natural. I ask this because I would say "Hi, Linda. I haven't seen you for days. How are you?"

Thank you, emsr2d2.

Were those options actually provided as part of the test or did they just ask you to fill in the blank with something grammatical and natural. I ask this because I would say "Hi, Linda. I haven't seen you for days. How are you?"

They just asked students to fill in the blank with proper answers without any options.

I also think where have you been is correct. What do you say?

Last edited:
In my opinion, it's an almost completely pointless exercise, and requires the examiners/markers to know all the possible things a native speaker might say.

I think this is another case where we could disagree on the validity of the question.

My suspicion is that the 'point-getting' answer is was.

If they accept all possible questions, it's OK. If they want to focus on the tense with matter, they should opt for what ____ the matter or what is/was the matter. How have you been would also work in addition to emsr2d2's version.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back