What is this rope-like thingy used to move a rolling shutter up and down called in American English?

Idk2222

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hungarian
Home Country
Hungary
Current Location
Germany
I will wait to see whether native speakers agree but thank you

I don't know about AmE, but I call it a cord.

A belt
I don't know about AmE, but I call it a cord.
I thought a cord is round in section like a rope. The material shown in the picture is flat.
A bead chain is more commonly used though.

Last edited:
A belt

I thought a cord is round in section like a rope. The material shown in the picture is flat.
A bead chain is more commonly used though.
You are right. A cord is more likely to be round. However, I am unused to the other term. (I can't help wondering why they don't use a cord.)

Definitely not a belt in relation to window blinds. They're typically called 'pull cords' if they're used to raise/lower the blinds.

If it's the things that controls the tilt/angle of the blinds, then I think it's called a tilt cord, or wand (if solid plastic rod).

I've never seen a flat one - they're usually either a round or beaded cord, while the tilt control is often a solid plastic rod or wand.

Back in the days when vertical-opening windows relied on counter weights hanging inside the window jamb, you pulled on a 'sash cord' to raise and lower the window. While counter-balanced windows are mostly a thing of the past, you can still buy 'sash cord' for other purposed at any place that sells cordage.

I wouldn't be surprised if some people called the blind cord a sash cord as well.

Last edited:
Definitely not a belt in relation to window blinds. They're typically called 'pull cords' if they're used to raise/lower the blinds.

If it's the things that controls the tilt/angle of the blinds, then I think it's called a tilt cord, or wand (if solid plastic rod).

I've never seen a flat one - they're usually either a round or beaded cord, while the tilt control is often a solid plastic rod or wand.

Back in the days when vertical-opening windows relied on counter weights hanging inside the window jamb, you pulled on a 'sash cord' to raise and lower the window. While counter-balanced windows are mostly a thing of the past, you can still buy 'sash cord' for other purposed at any place that sells cordage.

I wouldn't be surprised if some people called the blind cord a sash cord as well.
But what would you call the one in the picture? It's flat like a strap or a belt. Would it not a misnomer to call it a pull cord despite the fact that a pull cord and the thing in the picture have the commonality that they are used to move shutters or blinds up and down?

When my wife and I had very similar things on the windows on our flat in Germany in the 1970s, we referred to them, on the extremely rare occasions when we referred to them, as straps. I have no idea whether that was the 'correct' word or merely one that we happened to use.

Maybe call it a pull strap, then.

I wouldn't worry too much about it judging by how none of the native speakers in this thread have a definite name for it.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back