Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
What is the opposite of slope?

Suppose you are standing on the top of a mountain and you have to go to the top of an adjacent mountain. So what should one say for example 'in front of me there is a slope and then there is a climb to get to the peak'.

Please check these.

Do we need to say 'I need to go down a steep slope and then have to climb up to get to the summit'?

But what should be the opposite of slope?

A slope is just a surface that is not level with the horizon. You can go up a slope or down a slope. The opposite of a slope is a level surface. Sometimes people say that flat is the opposite of sloped, but that is inaccurate; strictly speaking.

What is the opposite of a slope?

Suppose you are I am standing on the top of a mountain and you I have to go to the top of an adjacent mountain. So What should one I say? For example, can I say 'In front of me there is a slope and then there is a climb to get to the peak'?

Please check these.

Do we I need to say 'I need to go down a steep slope and then have to climb up to get to the summit'?

But What should be is the opposite of a slope? This is redundant. You asked this exact question at the start of your post.
Note my changes above. Stop mixing up your pronouns. In the space of three sentences you used "you", "one", "I" and "we".
Stop using "What should be ..." when you mean "What is ...".

In the unlikely scenario you gave us, I'd say "Somehow, I've got to get down to the bottom of this mountain and then climb up that one". I wouldn't require the word "slope" at all. As probus said, slopes don't just go down, which is what you seem to be suggesting by using "slope" for the mountain you're going to descend and "climb" for the mountain you're going to ascend.

It had never occurred to me before that "slope" has an opposite. What does make sense to me is that you can go up or down a slope, but you can't do that on a flat surface, where there is no up or down.

It had never occurred to me before that "slope" has an opposite. What does make sense to me is that you can go up or down a slope, but you can't do that on a flat surface, where there is no up or down.
I think that a flat surface has a slope of zero degrees and a vertical surface has a ninety degree slope.

"Slope" is a noun or a "verb". Surely, it's not difficult for you @tufguy to look up a word. We've pointed that out to you so many times before, but here we go again: www.onelook.com.

Your question is as nonsensical as asking "What's the opposite of bread?"

I still think you're not a genuine learner, and I'm pretty sure I'll be able to demonstrate that sooner or later.

For what it's worth "sloping" can be an adjective.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back