[Vocabulary] What is the meaning of "man down"?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mokbon

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
Hi?

Robin leaves for Derek and the mood goes down. Ted cheers up,

Ted : We're a man down. That just means we're gonna have to party that much harder.

What does this mean? is it like a man who are ready to do something?

We are a man down.
We are a man short.
One person has left.
One person is missing.

:up: It is also used typically in US crime dramas, with the specific meaning 'One of our operatives - a man or a woman - has been incapacitated [and may be dead]'. It is often followed by the expression 'Get a bus' (which, in that context, means 'Call for an ambulance'). So that the following dialogue would be possible:

A: Man down!
B: Get a bus.
C (feeling pulse): No need - she's gone.

b

Last edited:
[AmE - not a teacher]

I would bet real money that "man down" is originally a military phrase, similar to "man overboard". As an idiom (and in the example cited), it means "We are a man short", but in other context, it means "we have an injured/fallen (downed) member that we need to attend to".

(It's rather hard to google this because of all the noise generated by Rihanna!)

:up: (Incidentally, I think you can add "-Rihanna" at the end of the search string. I'm not sure if this works with Google, but it did with Altavista in the days when I was working (unpaid!) on the Help, and I still do it.)

b

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back