[Vocabulary] What is the meaning of "cold plate"?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rain.Angel

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Hey everybody!
I can't get the meaning of "cold plate" in this sentence which I heard in a TV series called "Bosch".

2 Cops are in the car and they see a suspicious car. the cop number one says: "Let's go. Let's see what we get." and they follow the suspicious car. Then the cop number one says: "Oh, that's a cold plate, partner."
and the other cop (number 2) says: "Did you put it incorrectly?"
Then cop number 1 : "Yeah, man. Light him up."

I don't understand the meaning of cold plate and the sentences after that, I don't know what they mean. :-(

Thank you for your time

"Plate" means "number plate" or "registration number plate", the identifying mark on the front and back of all cars. I'm not sure if "cold" here means "it doesn't exist so it must be a fake" or "it shows up as stolen". I'm sure an AmE speaker will be able to clarify that.

His partner ensures that he definitely checked the correct set of letters and numbers and when he says that he is sure, his partner says that it's now time to switch on the red and blue flashing lights on top of the patrol car, to indicate to the other driver that he must stop.

Oh, you're right, I get it now, yes exactly because after they report, they say probably it's a stolen vehicle. thank you so much ;-);-)

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back