What is the earliest I need to reach somewhere?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tufguy

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Can we ask someone the following questions?

1) What is the earliest I need to reach somewhere?

2) What is the latest I can turn up somewhere?

Tom: what is the latest I can reach there?

Ann: What do you mean by latest?

Tom: I mean, the time beyond or after which you are not allowed to enter that place or the time by which you need to reach there any how.

Ann: Okay, 3 PM is the latest you can reach here.

No, that's not natural. Provide a more specific context please. Why can't you enter the place after a particular time?

1) What is the earliest I need to reach somewhere?

2) What is the latest I can turn up somewhere?

Tom: what is the latest I can reach there?

Ann: What do you mean by latest?

Tom: I mean, the time [STRIKE]beyond or[/STRIKE] after which you are not allowed in. [STRIKE]to enter that place or the time by which you need to reach there any how.
[/STRIKE]
Ann: Okay, 3 PM is the latest you can get in. [STRIKE]reach here.[/STRIKE]
I've removed quite a lot of text. We can't tell what you're trying to write when you include several different possible versions separated by or. Don't do this.

I can't think of any context in which sentence 1 would be natural. Sentence 2 would be OK if you named the place. "Somewhere" doesn't work there.

Why did you stop numbering your sentences after number 2?

I've removed quite a lot of text. We can't tell what you're trying to write when you include several different possible versions separated by or. Don't do this.

I can't think of any context in which sentence 1 would be natural. Sentence 2 would be OK if you named the place. "Somewhere" doesn't work there.

Why did you stop numbering your sentences after number 2?

1) What is the earliest I need to reach for the interview?

2) What is the latest I can turn up for the interview?

3) Tom: what is the latest I can reach there?

4) Ann: What do you mean by latest?

5) Tom: I mean, the time after which you are not allowed in for the interview.

6)
The time by which you need to reach for the interview.

6)
Ann: Okay, 3 PM is the latest you can reach here.

1) What is the earliest I need to reach for the interview? :cross:

2) What is the latest I can turn up for the interview? :tick:

3) Tom: what is the latest I can reach there? :cross:

4) Ann: What do you mean by latest? :tick:

5) Tom: I mean, the time after which you are not allowed in for the interview. :tick:

6)
The time by which you need to reach for the interview. :cross: [Not a sentence, and you don't "reach for" a time.]

7) Ann: Okay, 3 PM is the latest you can reach here. :cross:
In number 7, Ann should say 3 PM is the latest you can get here. Saying "here" means she is at the site of the interview.

Thanks for numbering your sentences.

In number 7, Ann should say 3 PM is the latest you can get here. Saying "here" means she is at the site of the interview.

Thanks for numbering your sentences.

Could you please tell me the correct way of saying these sentences (the wrong ones)?

1) What is the earliest I need to reach your office for the interview?

3) Tom: what is the latest I can reach there?

6)
The time by which I need to reach your office for the interview.

7) Ann: Okay, 3 PM is the latest you can get here.

I tried to amend the wrong ones except third sentence because I don't know what is wrong there.

How about:

What's the earliest/latest I need to be there by?

In American English you can ask What's the latest I can get​ there?

That works in BrE too.

Come to think of it, this is more natural: When​'s the latest I can get there?

Come to think of it, this is more natural: When​'s the latest I can get there?

Okay, when is the latest or earliest I can get there (by)?

How about other sentences that I tried to amend?

Could you please tell me the correct way of saying these sentences (the wrong ones)?

1) What is the earliest I need to reach your office for the interview? :tick:

3) Tom: what is the latest I can reach there? :cross: [But you fixed it below.]

6)
The time by which I need to reach your office for the interview. :cross: [This is not a sentence.]

7) Ann: Okay, 3 PM is the latest you can get here. :tick:

I tried to amend the wrong ones except third sentence because I don't know what is wrong there.

Okay, "When is the latest or earliest I can get there (by)?"

How about [something's missing here] other sentences that I [strike]tried to[/strike] amended?
Can you fill in the missing word above?

I changed "tried to amend" to "amended" because you actually did amend (i.e., "change") the sentences. You didn't merely try to do so.

Remember to mark a sentence you're writing about with quotation marks or by setting it in italics. I'm sure you're wondering why I just told you to use fewer quotation marks, and now I'm saying you have to use them here. It's because this is a firm rule: you always have to mark quoted text.

Can you fill in the missing word above?

I changed "tried to amend" to "amended" because you actually did amend (i.e., "change") the sentences. You didn't merely try to do so.

Remember to mark a sentence you're writing about with quotation marks or by setting it in italics. I'm sure you're wondering why I just told you to use fewer quotation marks, and now I'm saying you have to use them here. It's because this is a firm rule: you always have to mark quoted text.

How about 'my' or 'the' other sentences that I amended?

1) What is the earliest I need to reach your office for the interview? :tick:. Why is this correct? You told me it was wrong.

How about 'my' or 'the' other sentences that I amended?
That is an example of the kind of sentence I want you to stop posting. I think you're asking two things in it: 1) Should I use my or the, and 2) What about my other sentences. Please don't write questions this way anymore. Pick one option (in this case either is possible but the is better) and write your question.

Post the sentences you're still unsure about in a new thread. I've lost track.

1) What is the earliest I need to reach your office for the interview? :tick:. Why is this correct? You told me it was wrong.
Looking at it again I agree with my earlier self (although I was talking about a different sentence). Ask When is the earliest I can arrive at your office for the interview?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back