What is the difference between two adjectives fulfilling and fulfilled?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mehdi 100

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Hi.
I would like to know when should I use fulfilling and when fulfilled? I already know that both are adjectives.

I found these examples:
Nursing is still one of the most fulfilling careers
A sense of flow can hep people achieve more fulfilling lives.
Adult education helps people achieve more fulfilled lives.
I enjoy being a mother, but to feel fulfilled I need to work.

Hi.
I would like to know when should I use fulfilling and when fulfilled? I already know that both are adjectives.

I found these examples:
Nursing is still one of the most fulfilling careers.

Fulfilling is what it can or will be doing: fulfilling you.

A sense of flow can hep people achieve more fulfilling lives.

Same as the above.

Adult education helps people achieve more fulfilling lives.

Same as the above.

I enjoy being a mother, but to feel fulfilled I need to work.

Work will fulfill you. So if you work, that's how you will feel. You will feel fulfilled.
That's the best I can do. Maybe someone else can make it clearer.

NOT A TEACHER and NOT A NATIVE SPEAKER

From this source: https://learnenglish.britishcouncil...-intermediate/adjectives-ending-in-ed-and-ing

Adjectives ending -ed usually describe emotions that people feel. And adjectives ending -ing describe things or actions which make people feel these emotions.
For example, nursing is a career that makes people feel fulfilled. That's why nursing is a fulfilling career.
Or horror films are frightening because they make me feel frightened. If I say "they make me frightening," that would mean I look so scary that people are afraid of me.

NOT A TEACHER

Medhi, I have made up this sentence after checking the "Books" section of Google: "Miss Florence Nightingale, whom I have always very much admired, led both a fulfilled and fulfilling life."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back