Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
United States
I am very confused between these words , can anyone help me ? when do i use these words ?
Thank you !

"Increase" is something that "goes up." "Rise" is essentially the same. Something that "soars" goes up very high, usually quickly.

Soar also means something which remains in flight for a long time, without telling us how it got there. Hawks and sailplanes are said to soar, even though they may take quite a while to reach soaring altitude.

If the context is prices, then "increase" and "rise" are about the same in meaning ("go up"), while "soar" means "go up by a very large amount".

I am very confused between [STRIKE]these[/STRIKE] the words "increase", "rise" and "soar". Can anyone help me? When [STRIKE]do[/STRIKE] should I use these words?
Thank you!

Welcome to the forum. :hi:

Please note my changes above. Please make sure you put the words you are querying in your post as well as in your title. It's important to follow these rules of written English at all times:

- Start every sentence with a capital letter.
- End every sentence with one appropriate punctuation mark.
- Always capitalise the word "I".
- Do not put a space before a comma, full stop, question mark or exclamation mark.
- Always put a space after a comma, full stop, question mark or exclamation mark.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back