[Vocabulary] What is the difference between decline and reject?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jsc2040

Member Type
Academic
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
I've used 'reject' more often than 'decline' like 'I rejected the offer.' I guess 'decline' is more polite and formal than 'reject', but I want to confirm whether my guess is right. Thank you.

I've used 'reject' more often than 'decline', for example in 'I rejected the offer.' I'm guessing that 'decline' is more polite and formal than 'reject', but I want to confirm whether my guess is right. [STRIKE]Thank you.[/STRIKE] (unnecessary)

You're right for the example you gave, but differences in meaning exist in some situations.

You reject an applicant for a job (informal and softer: turn down), but you decline an invitation. If you reject an invitation, that would be much more negative and suggests you refuse to go rather than being unable to go. If you decline an applicant, that might suggest you decided against interviewing them, rather than that they failed your interview.

In general, reject is harsher (your description of it as less polite is only applicable in some contexts).

Last edited:
I would decline an invitation- reject would be to strong for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back