[Vocabulary] What is the difference between being "angry at" and "angry with"?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aamir Tariq

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Urdu
Home Country
Pakistan
Current Location
Pakistan
What is the difference between "angry at", and "angry with".

I have heard that "angry at" is used with undesirable and unpleasant situations that make you feel angry. Whereas "angry with" is used with people, like "I am angry with her". Please give me your expert opinion.

Regards
Aamir the Global Citizen

Re: What is the difference between being "angry at" and "angry with"?

The lack of answers to this question may suggest that it's a tough one to answer. I think many of us 'experts' might say there is no difference but I think there's always something going on behind the scenes when we select one preposition over another, usually a subtle emphasis.

To me, the preposition 'at' suggests the anger travels in the direction of its object, perhaps suggesting shouting at or glaring at, for example.
Whereas the 'with' is perhaps a little less aggressive, maybe referring to a state of anger, not necessarily being shown to or aimed at the object of anger. According to this view, then:-

• angry with may be used to refer to a state of anger about something.
  • angry at may emphasise a feeling of anger directed towards something.
Please be aware that these are merely my thoughts on the question and that I'm just offering my own way of understanding.

Jutfrank your answers have always been very helpful. I really like the way you comment on my posts from a whole new different angles, because you always come up with something unique and in-depth. Now, that you have expressed your expert opinion above. I would really appreciate if you kindly give a couple of example sentences containing "angry at" and "angry with" so that the difference becomes even more clear.

Last edited by a moderator:

Okay, here are two simple examples:-

• Are you angry with me? (Tell me how you feel. Your feelings are not clear.)

• She got really angry at me. (She demonstrated and directed her anger towards me, with her body language, her face, the way she spoke to me. Her feelings were clear.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back