Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
Hello, everyone! I am currently reading a videobook on youtube. As I am not an English native speaker, it is really hard for me to distinguish the accent of the speaker. At first, I thought it is British, but later I found that some words were pronounced in American way like "hurry", "advantage", "chance" etc. May I know if anybody, especially native speaker, can help me to discern the accent of the reader?

Here is the link: Part 1 - Emma Audiobook by Jane Austen (Vol 1: Chs 01-09) - YouTube

Thank you very much!

I'd go for a trace of Irish accent there.

I'd go for a trace of Irish accent there.

The name of the reader, Moira Fogarty, is certainly Irish but I'd go for educated, east coast American.

I googled her, she is a voice artist based in Toronto, Canada.

That is as close to the alleged American standard accent that you're likely to hear. There is nothing that says what region of the US she is from. I could no hint of southern, northeast, upper Midwest, etc.

That is as close to the alleged American standard accent that you're likely to hear. There is nothing that says what region of the US she is from. I could no hint of southern, northeast, upper Midwest, etc.
Thank you very much. It seems that I was wrong to regard
Moira Fogarty's accent as British. I find her web page now and it is written: "My diction and enunciation are as close to pristine BBC Newscaster English as you can get without a British accent." So does it mean that her diction and enunciation follow the British style but with an American accent? It seems a confusing to say that in the web page.

http://voice123.com/moirafogarty

"My diction and enunciation are as close to pristine BBC Newscaster English as you can get without a British accent."
That does not mean very much, especially as BBC newsreaders have a greater variety of accents than was the case fifty years ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back