Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Indonesian
Home Country
Indonesia
Current Location
Indonesia
What is the meaning of on a quantitative basis? I've googled and found nothing.

Last edited:
A larger context would help.

Something that is quantitative is something you can measure, something you can put a number to. As opposed to something that is qualitative.

"I like the way this car looks better than the other one" is qualitative.

"This car has more horsepower and a shorter braking distance" is quantitative.

It all depends on the context, which you haven't included. In its simplest terms, a "quantitative basis" relates to how much there is of a particular item. So, in making a choice on a quantitative basis, you have to specify what it is that you are measuring, and whether "bigger is better".
For example, let's imagine that we are asked to choose between 2 cakes. I, being a greedy individual, would choose the bigger cake. You might be somewhat allergic to nuts, so you would choose the smaller cake with no nuts in the recipe. Both of us are choosing "on a quantitative basis": me on the basis of dimensions (and bigger is better); you on the basis of the presence of nuts in the cake (and less is better; none is best). In choosing on a purely quantitative basis along these particular parameters, neither of us take taste (more difficult to assess on a quantitative basis) into account.

What is the meaning of on a quantitative basis? I've googled and found nothing.

I am not a teacher.

If I may make so bold. Why didn't you try a dictionary instead of 'googling it'?

Dictionaries are there to give the definitions of words, and the first one I tried, here, said 'Relating to, measuring, or measured by the quantity of something rather than its quality: Often contrasted with qualitative.'

Out of sheer curiosity I 'googled it' too and got 115,000,000 results that put the answer to your question just one mouse click away.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back