• Thread starter Yourjones
  • Start date
  • Views : 1,700
Status
Not open for further replies.
Y

Yourjones

Hello,

If Tom is eating a starfruit, and I haven't tried any before. How can I ask him? Should I use "how" or "what??

"How does it taste?"
"What does it taste like?"
"How is it?"

Thanks.

They're all acceptable.

I agree with Emsr2d2 that all work, but if I really had no idea, I would be more likely to use What does it taste like. I would be more likely to use the how questions when asking about the quality of something I knew, though this is a personal view.

I agree that there is a nuance of difference, mainly in the type of answer each question would elicit.

What does it taste like?
It's a bit like Coke but with a hint of vanilla and it's not as fizzy.

How does it taste?
It tastes really good/bad/disgusting.

How is it?
It's lovely/It's awful.

In my experience they are all acceptable. I'm neither a teacher nor a native speaker though.

In my experience they are all acceptable. I'm neither a teacher nor a native speaker though.

Did you read the other responses? In post #2, I said they were all acceptable. If you agree, it's more appropriate and much quicker to simply click on the "Like" button on that post to indicate your agreement. There is no need to write a new post if it adds nothing to the conversation.

Did you read the other responses? In post #2, I said they were all acceptable. If you agree, it's more appropriate and much quicker to simply click on the "Like" button on that post to indicate your agreement. There is no need to write a new post if it adds nothing to the conversation.

Haha sorry, I'm used to other fora where there is no like button. Really need to get used to that soon.

I must say I did post it before your last post which, in hindsight, I do agree on. Good find.

This is probably a better answer than I have expected! Thanks!

Now I know it should be same as for "look", "sound", "feel" and "smell", shouldn't it?

Yes, those work in the same way for me. Bear in mind that not everyone will answer those questions in the way I suggested.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back