Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hungarian
Home Country
Hungary
Current Location
Germany
Is it natural to use ''reared on'' this way in order to try to sound funny?

Let's imagine a following: A sees her nephew again after 7 years. The last time she saw him, he was 12 and now he's 19 and she's is surprised by how her nephew has grown. Can she jokingly say the following?:

Wow! You've really shot up! What have you been reared on? What kind of food made you this tall?

Let's imagine a following: A sees her nephew again after 7 years. The last time she saw him, he was 12 and now he's 19 and she's is surprised ABOUT how MUCH her nephew has grown. Can she jokingly say the following?:

Wow! You've really shot up! What have you been reared on? What kind of food made you this tall?
It's OK.

What have you been fed with?

They fed me with a spoon, I guess.

You could also say:

What have you been eating?

Or:

What have they been feeding you?

So does my way of phrasing achieve that "trying to be funny" natural effect?

I wouldn't say its funny – just mildly amusing. It's more natural to say 'What have they been feeding you on?'

However, at 19, he's probably responsible for his own nutrition.

So my way of phrasing isn't natural?

I wouldn't say its funny – just mildly amusing. It's more natural to say 'What have they been feeding you on?'

However, at 19, he's probably responsible for his own nutrition.
Also it's true that he's responsible but it's the parents who made the food for him.

They fed me with a spoon, I guess.

You could also say:

What have you been eating?

Or:

What have they been feeding you?
Okay, I should have omitted "with".

Try:

She hasn't seen her nephew since he was 12, and he's 19 now. (Seven years have passed since she saw him last.)

So my way of phrasing isn't natural?
Not for the context you're wanting. You should use one of the variations of 'feed' offered.

An associate's catchphrase for such situations was "What have they been feeding you? Miracle Gro?"

Part of the issue is that the expression 'reared on' isn't just used for food. It's also used for lifestyle choices.

I was reared on Charlie Daniels, junk food, and self-reliance.
That boy was reared on disrespect and bad manners.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back