[General] What does this business card mean?

Status
Not open for further replies.

japanjapan

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Dear Teachers,
One friend asked me to explain a business card for him, and it beat me.
Here is what the card look like:
CHRISIAN BLACK
I'm not a bidnessman.
I'm a bidness...man.
206-027-****
I am puzzled. I googled the word bidness, which means oil business in Texas, then what does the man do?
Does he mean he is not a man who bids in the auction, but a man who deals oil?
Please help me!
Million thanks!

Baffling! For a start, he doesn't seem to be able to spell his own name. I have never heard of "Chrisian" as a first name. It's much more likely to be "Christian". Also, if he wants to be taken seriously, he needs to remove this "bidness" nonsense unless he plans only to hand out these cards in Texas. I had never heard the word before today and I have no idea what he thinks is the difference between "bidnessman" and "bidness...man".
I wouldn't do business with this guy.

Edit: I found "bidness" online, defined as a chiefly southern US dialect form of business. Out of curiosity, do our AmE speakers recognise this? Is it a question only of pronunciation or is this an accepted alternative spelling of "business" in the southern states?

Last edited:
Thank you for your reply. combine our understandings, does it mean he is not an ordinary businessman but a oil businessman? At first, I thought bidnessman refers to bidder, but since there is the word bidder in English, bidnessman probably means businessman in southern US. I am not sure at all. looking forward to a reply by a kind friend from Dixieland.

Last edited by a moderator:
I haven't found anything online to suggest it has anything specifically to do with oil. The definitions I have found simply say that "bidness" is the dialect word for "business". Thus, "bidnessman" simply means "businessman". As a job title on a business card, it means nothing.

Dear Teachers,
One friend asked me to explain a business card for him, and it beat me.
Here is what the card look like:
CHRISIAN BLACK
I'm not a bidnessman.
I'm a bidness...man.
206-027-****
Bidness is how some Americans pronounce "business". The writer is being light-hearted and casual. Man at the end is an interjection, so I'm a bidness... man! means something like "Hey! I, myself, am a business!"

My guess is he's a wheeler-dealer who buys and sells goods, maybe without too much attention to laws and regulations.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back