Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
"Despite her narrow majority in the House, Pelosi may have enough votes to pass the bill. However, it faces steep odds of passage in the Senate."[From CNBC]

What does "steep odds" means?

Thank you for your help in advance!

It means the same as "difficult odds," "low odds," or "a low probability." It is the opposite of "high odds" or "a high probability."

The use of "steep" instead of "low" might be confusing because "steep" sounds more similar to "high." So consider that steep here has the meaning of difficult, demanding, or ambitious.

Last edited:
It means the same as "difficult odds," "low odds," or "a low probability." It is the opposite of "high odds" or "a high probability."

I'd say it means high odds—in other words, a low probability outcome.

If you bet on a horse with high odds of winning, it is unlikely to win, so if it does, you'll win a lot of money. Both words high and steep mean that if expressed as a fraction, the denominator is a large number. (A one in a million chance, for example.)

I think the metaphorical steep is used in the sense of 'difficult to overcome'.

What does "steep odds" mean?

You could, perhaps, compare it to climbing a hill. A gentle slope -- low odds. A steep slope -- high odds.

Re: What does "steep odds" mean?

I'd say it means high odds—in other words, a low probability outcome.

You could, perhaps, compare it to climbing a hill. A gentle slope -- low odds. A steep slope -- high odds.

You two are blowing my mind by using "high/low odds" (specifically) with opposite meanings of what I gave and how I intuitively understand them.

I found this to explain it:

If you had made a 99-to-1 bet for $1 that there’d be an earthquake in Phoenix and then there was one, you’d win $99. High odds yield a high payout.

If that feels backwards to you, don’t feel bad. I found it confusing too—so much so that I consulted with a mathematician to make sure I was getting it right.

Odds and probability are not the same thing

Mathematically, odds and probability are not the same thing. A high probability does mean that something is more likely to happen. But colloquially, outside the world of mathematics, many people treat odds and probability as the same thing. [...]

‘High odds’ and ‘low odds’ are confusing

The problem is that the phrases “high odds” and “low odds” are confusing. When you talk about odds being high, your reader can interpret that as meaning that something is likely or unlikely. The same goes with calling odds “low.”

What should you say?

To be clear in your writing, to make sure everyone understands what you mean, it’s better to describe the likelihood of something happening in a different way. Instead of saying the odds are high or low, you can say there's a “good chance” or a “high probability” of something happening if you mean it's likely. And if you must use odds, it’s better to say they are good or bad, instead of high or low.

https://www.quickanddirtytips.com/education/grammar/high-odds-or-low-odds

@Saraj Zhou, "steep odds" is easily understood as "bad odds" or "low probability," so don't worry about any confusion for that one.

slevlife—you said in post #2 that 'steep odds' means 'low odds' whereas in fact it means 'high odds'—that is, that there's a low probability outcome. My post was meant to straighten that point out.

jutfrank, I got that, but the point was literally shocking to me, and the confirmation from Tarheel (without either of you acknowledging that "high odds" can be used with the opposite meaning) made me feel crazy for a moment. I asked my girlfriend (also a native AmE speaker) and she was just as surprised. "High odds" and "low odds" are of course common phrases, and I have only ever said or heard them with the opposite/incorrect/colloquial meaning.

I think I will avoid using "high/low odds" ever again to avoid this issue.

the confirmation from Tarheel (without either of you acknowledging that "high odds" can be used with the opposite meaning) made me feel crazy for a moment.

Oh, I see. Okay, fair enough. I suppose it is a bit confusing.

Anyway, the point here, which we all agree on, is that steep odds in the text means 'low probability'.

Sorry to make you crazy! :-D

jutfrank, thanks for the education! :-D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back