What does 'pp' mean?

• Thread starter mikephd
  • Start date
  • Views : 163,046
Status
Not open for further replies.
M

mikephd

I have just received a letter from City Council. There is a 'pp' right above the officer's signature. Could someone tell me what it means? Thanks.

Hello.

This comes from the Latin 'per procurationem' which means by delegation to, or through the agency of. It is used when signing documents on behalf of someone else.

Hope this helps.

Chris.

yeah, I agree with Chris.
and due to my knowledge,
it usually used when the secretary sign the documents on behalf his or her boss~~

I'm never sure exactly where to put PP though, to the left, right, above or below the signature? Can anyone tell me :?:

I'm never sure exactly where to put PP though, to the left, right, above or below the signature? Can anyone tell me :?:

Given that it stands for 'per pro', it should logically go to the left of the person being signed for:

<underling's signature>

pp Mr TooBusy

But I have seldom seen it used this way, possibly because the people using it don't know what it means.

b

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back