What does it mean by 'To live vicariously through sb'?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tulipflower

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
What does it mean by 'To live vicariously through sb'?

I suggest you check your dictionary.

Last edited by a moderator:
Could you suggest me any dictionary for lookjng up this specific phrase?

Google the phrase.

What does [STRIKE]it mean by[/STRIKE] 'To live vicariously through [STRIKE]sb[/STRIKE] somebody' mean?

Note my corrections above. It's unusual to see "sb" used except in dictionary definitions. Your use of it suggests that you have already looked it up somewhere. Please don't use "sb" in your own writing. Googling the phrase will get you a faster response than asking here.

Memorise the construction "What does XXXX mean?" You'll be using it a lot on the forum.

Then, does the sentence “she enjoyed the wedding vicariously” mean that she enjoyed another person's wedding and she didn't experience it by herself?

I always surf the net for my questions and as the last resort, I ask my questions here. Thank you so much for your patience.

Last edited:
Yes, but there's more to it. Another person's description of the wedding made it possible for her to enjoy it.

I was really confused. Now, I got it. :up:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back