What does it mean by saying "she's needy, she's vulnerable. I'm thinkin', cha-ching"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joeyy

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
What does it mean by saying "she's needy, she's vulnerable. I'm thinkin', cha-ching"

Chandler: Yes, I know, but her friend sounds like such a...
Joey: Pathetic mess? I know, but—come on, man, she's needy, she's vulnerable. I'm thinkin', cha-ching! (Rachel throws a roll at Joey. He picks it up and eats it.)

from Friennds S01E14

Re: What does it mean by saying "she's needy, she's vulnerable. I'm thinkin', cha-chi

"cha-ching" is the sound that a cash register makes, so it means "Money!" (發財!) In this case (not knowing the full context), I'm guessing it means that he can take advantage of her to make money.

Re: What does it mean by saying "she's needy, she's vulnerable. I'm thinkin', cha-chi

cha-ching
ka-ching

These are reminiscent of the following sound:

He thinks she'll be an easy sexual conquest.

Thank you! But I cannot hear the sound on the youtube because I'm in China, you know, it is blocked!

"usual garbage"?

"usual garbage"?

I'm not sure if RobertJ was referring to the show itself (in which case we can take it he is not a fan of the series) or the phrase in question.

... (not knowing the full context), I'm guessing it means that he can take advantage of her to make money.
I'm guessing you've never been a fan of 'Friends', bubbha.:cool:

I know it divides opinion. I loved it!

I never watched it, but I saw bits & pieces over the years. If I remember right, the characters used a reasonably accessible level of American English: definitely not academic, but pretty similar to what a learner might hear in a coffeehouse in Manhattan. That would be good material for practicing comprehension.

I know it divides opinion. I loved it!
Me, too. I still watch my favourite episodes from time to time.

You think Friends is a bad tv series? I'm so curious about the reason. I'm not saying that, it is a very good one. But obviously it's not bad. Of course it's my opinion, I want to hear yours. :)

You think Friends is a bad tv series? I'm so curious about the reason. I'm not saying that, it is a very good one. But obviously it's not bad. Of course it's my opinion, I want to hear yours. :)
Some people feel that popular entertainment doesn't offer good models for students.

Also, a lot of people find that comedy doesn't age well.

He thinks she'll be an easy sexual conquest.

As usual, Soothing Dave nails it.

As usual, Soothing Dave nails it.

Nail? ;-)

NSFW

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back