What does 'It is to lay the blame on our own badness' mean?

Romeo-Bravo

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
Hello.

I was watching a YouTube video and found this:

'For a young child, it's as though the only way we can make sense of how poorly we've been treated how we've been mistreated especially by those who are supposed to take care cherish and love us / is to lay the blame on our own badness.'
I don’t understand what the quote indicates since there’s no subject word for the bolded text. Is this just a subtitle issue? Did he actually say 'It is to lay the blame on our own badness' or is it actually 'It's as though the only way is to lay the blame on our own badness'?

The quote starts at 1:21.

Thank you.

Last edited:
Paraphrase it as "The only way to make sense of being treated badly by others is to blame ourselves for bad behavior".

In other words, we assume we did something wrong to deserve being mistreated.

Hello. guys, (Don't refer to users here as "guys". We're not all male and we're not your mates.)

I was watching a YouTube video and found this: statement.

"'For a young child, it's as though the only way we can make sense of how poorly we've been treated how we've been mistreated especially by those who are supposed to take care cherish and love us / is to lay the blame on our own Badness."

I don’t understand what the quote indicates since there’s no subject word for the bolded text. Is this just a subtitle issue? Did he actually say no comma here 'It is to lay the blame on our own badness' or is it actually like this: 'It's as though the only way is to lay the blame on our own badness no full stop here'?

The quote starts at 1:21.

Thank you.
Note my corrections and comments above.

Paraphrase it as "The only way to make sense of being treated badly by others is to blame ourselves for bad behavior".

In other words, we assume we did something wrong to deserve being mistreated.
Thank you for the explanation. I feel like the resolution of this sentence has improved. Thank you for clarifying the meaning of "badness" in particular.

Thank you for the explanation. I feel like the resolution of this sentence has improved. Thank you for clarifying the meaning of "badness" in particular.
I find the underlined part unnatural.

How about, "The sentence has improved" or "The doubt about the sentence has been resolved".

How about, "The sentence has improved" or "The doubt about the sentence has been resolved".
The first one is good. The second one is OK. (I would probably say my question has been answered.)

(I wasn't going to say anything about that post, but then you gave me an excuse to. 😊)

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back