Member Type
Academic
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
United States
1) He blames his alcoholism on his mother. What does it have to do with his mother?
2) He blames his alcoholism on his mother. How does it have to do with his mother?

Are both correct?
Are both natural?
Is there any difference between their meanings?

I find '1' correct and natural. I heard something in a TV program which was similar to '2' and started with 'How does this have to do with ...'
It sounded strange to me but I can understand it. To me there is not much difference between 'How does this have to do with ...' and 'What does this have to do with ...', but the first just doesn't sound quite right!

Gratefully,
Navi

2 is not grammatical. We don't say "How does it have to do with ...?"

If you want to use "How" there, you need to say "How does it have anything to do with ...?"

I'd say they're both grammatical but have different meanings. The first means something like 'What's the relation to his mother?' whereas the second means something like 'In what way is this related to his mother?'

The first is far more common.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back