What does "going viral" mean here?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you,
Can I use "become viral" instead of "go viral" here?
And in this case, is "go" used as a linking verb?

Thank you,
I'd prefer you to. :) I suspect the quote in the OP has mistaken the meaning. If something 'goes viral' it starts to spread like a virus. The quote in the OP seems to mean something like 'resorting to use of the internet, particularly social networks'. It's true that something that starts to spread virally on the internet often does use Facebook, but resorting to Facebook is not a necessary or sufficient condition for 'going viral'.

I haven't looked at that Urban Dictionary page; I fear that 'going viral' may start to be used in the specific sense of 'using social networks'. That's why I prefer 'become'.

b

Thank you,
And in this case, is "go" used as a linking verb?

No, it's a set phrase.

It is a set phrase but it's been used incorrectly in the piece. One supporter can't go viral on the internet. A supporter might post a video on YouTube and then the video might go viral. It simply means something which spreads incredibly quickly on the internet, sometimes quite surprisingly.
The Gangnam Style song/video is a perfect example.

It is a set phrase but it's been used incorrectly in the piece. One supporter can't go viral on the internet. A supporter might post a video on YouTube and then the video might go viral. It simply means something which spreads incredibly quickly on the internet, sometimes quite surprisingly.
The Gangnam Style song/video is a perfect example.

I agree- a Facebook page is irrelevant unless millions of people look at it, and without the millions it has not gone viral.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back