What does "first to go, last to know" mean?

Status
Not open for further replies.

NewHopeR

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Does it mean "take action at one; to know what has happened is the last thing you will do" (in military backgroud)?

Context:

[h=1]First to go, last to know![/h]Aboard Air Force One out of Andrews Air Force Base, National Security Advisor Stephen Hadley and White House spokesman Scott McClellan briefed reporters about the trip to India and Pakistan, of which very few details are known.
Questions arose in the briefing about a possible side trip to Afghanistan and some ambiguities in the schedule. Here is what transpired:
Q: What about Afghanistan, do you want to say anything about whether or not we’re going to go there?
MR. HADLEY: We’re briefing India and Pakistan. That’s the trip that we’re talking to you about. And, obviously, if we have any changes to make in the schedule, we’ll let you know in the normal course.
Q: Speaking of changes in the schedule, it seems like Friday night — there’s a departure Friday night –
MR. McCLELLAN: Even if we were, we wouldn’t be telling you until it was the appropriate time.
Q: Well, it’s in the trip book. Can you say what we’re doing Friday night?
MR. HADLEY: I will say this to you: If we make a change to the schedule, you’ll be the first to know.
Q: I don’t think so.
Q : Wait a minute, I want to know, too.
MR. McCLELLAN: All right, we’re landing.
After landing in Shannon, Ireland, Air Force One refueled and was on its way – to Afghanistan.

I think it simply means that the press corps is the first to be included on the trip, but the last ones to know the details about where they are going.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back