[General] What does “for not being bigger” mean here?

Status
Not open for further replies.

verafxh

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
I am reading a book about Tim Walker called Pictures and got quite confused when I read this part, Here is the context:

So here then are the truths of that Vogue picture from 1947: It was staged by a German émigré painter, whose accent rendered him only partially intelligible in his adopted country; the hawk was not, strictly speaking, native to the United Kingdom and certainly not to London; the portrait was taken by an American on secondment to England, who did not care about painters or painting (Clifford Coffin cared even less about the British landscape, once observed haranguing the standing stones of Stonehenge for not being bigger). Despite appearances, there’s little ‘English’ about it at all, just the suggestion of it. How potent for one photographer suggestion can be.
I've got 2 questions:
1, Was Clifford Coffin being observed haranguing or Clifford Coffin observed someone else haranguing..?
2, What does “for not being bigger” mean here? to prove himself is not big, being compared to the Stonehenge? or it's saying the Stonehenge is not big..? does it have a pun here..."a bigger person" or sth?

Thanks a lot.

1. He was observed by someone haranguing the stones at Stonehenge.
2. He thought that the stones should be bigger.

1. He was observed by someone haranguing the stones at Stonehenge.
2. He thought that the stones should be bigger.

thank you very much for answering me! :)
but how can I know the word FOR is used for the object, i.e. stones here, but not for the subject, which is Clifford Coffin in this case.

Like in this sentence: The winner of the Miss Transgender UK pageant was stripped of her crown for not being “full-time” transgender, the organiser has claimed.

Here FOR is obviously after Miss Transgender, and it means: stripping of the crown FOR Miss Transgender NOT BEING full time transgender.
We are clear that the FOR is not after crown(object) this time.

Looks the structure of the latter case is same with the former one, then how should I understand next time if another situation?

In a sentence like that, you need to tell from the context. Since Stonehenge is not responsible for the size of the man, that reading is unlikely. Sometimes, you'll just get an ambiguous sentence, and you're on your own.
"The crown was taken from Miss Transgender for not being shiny enough."

I thought English structure is always quite clear and tells everything in a strict way, but... apparently we still need a context to see, thank you!

We almost always need a context. That's why we keep asking for one here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back