[Vocabulary] What do you call a teacher who's responsible for a club at school?

Status
Not open for further replies.

aficionado

Member Type
Teacher (Other)
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Turkey
I want to say " I'm the teacher responsible for the drama club at school."

How should I put in a more natural way?

Can I say, " I am the coach of the drama club at school?"

Thanks for reading my post.

Can I say, " I am the coach of the drama club at school?"

That works for me. Of course, people will expect you to have some expertise in that area.

When I was in high school many years ago the teacher who was responsible for organizing the chess club was called a sponsor.

I was going to say sponsor or advisor. Any student club needs a member of faculty to be a sponsor.

I want to say " I'm the teacher responsible for the drama club at school."

How should I put in a more natural way?
That's completely natural in British English. In the UK we wouldn't use coach (except for a sports activity) or advisor, and definitely not sponsor, which has a different meaning altogether.

I think the OP is looking for a one word expression.

I run the school drama club.

Last edited:
My inclination is to use host, both as a noun and a verb:

Mr. Smith hosts the chess club.
Mr. Smith is the host of the chess club.

In my native language, we call such teachers "club counselors". I wish there could be one exact word for the job.
I thought about the word "advise" and I found an example on the Net:

Petria May, the teacher who advises the club, divided the students into two groups. (The New Yorker)

I guess I should go for the word "advise" or I should just say, "I am responsible for the..."

Thanks everyone for answering.

Don't use advise, which is a verb and completely wrong. (Perhaps you were thinking of advisor.)

The suggestion from post #7 is clear, natural and easily understood by everyone.

Thanks to everyone for answering.

Two things. One, that's what the "Thank" and "Like" buttons are for. Two, at least that didn't have its own post.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back