What do/should you do if you see someone sleepwalking?

Status
Not open for further replies.

diamondcutter

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
You also might have heard that sleepwalkers can get confused and scared if you startle them into being awake. That’s true, so what do you do if you see someone sleepwalking? You should call for a grown-up who can gently steer the person back to bed.
Source: https://www.rchsd.org/health-articles/sleepwalking/

What do you do if you see someone sleepwalking?

In this context, for the sentence above, I think we can also use the modal verb “should” to ask the question like this.

What should you do if you see someone sleepwalking?

I’d like to know if the two versions are equally common in this context.

You don't need to know how common the two forms are. That's not going to help. You should focus on the differences in use. It's developing a sensitivity to the subtle differences between two forms that is going to help you more than anything as an English teacher and learner.

Thanks, Jutfrank.

Sorry, I didn't make myself clear. Actually, what I want to know is the difference between the two versions in that context. Would you please explain it to me?

"What do you do if .. ." contains an unstated assumption that you have seen someone sleepwalking and asks for a report on your potential reaction to that. "What should you do if ..." is a request for advice in a hypothetical event.

That’s true, so what do you do if you see someone sleepwalking?

To my non-native speaker’s ears, the word “if” is not so pleasant to hear. I prefer “when” to “if” in that place. It’s most likely that I will be wrong. I’d like to read dear native speakers’ comment.

I've never seen anybody sleepwalking, so I don't have any experience with that.

I don't have any trouble using the word "if" and I use it when it's appropriate. Also "if" and "when" do not mean the same thing.

In the context in #1, I’d like to know if it’s better to say “so what should you do if you see someone sleepwalking” instead of “so what do you do if you see someone sleepwalking”.

Thanks, Probus.

I’d like to know which of the two versions is more appropriate in the context in #1. Do you mean they are equally appropriate in that context?

1....so what should you do if you see someone sleepwalking?
2....so what do you do if you see someone sleepwalking?

As @jutfrank explained in post #2 your alternatives 1 & 2 have different meanings. You should choose according to which you mean.

I feel you are flogging a dead horse.

Thread closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back