Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Indonesian
Home Country
Indonesia
Current Location
Indonesia
Is this sentence, "What did you type with?" correct in English? The expectation answers would be by computer, handphone, etc. Thank you for the explanation.

I'd say yes. Many teachers would prefer 'With what...?'

I'm not entirely comfortable with the verb. If I wanted to know about the technology they used, I think I'd ask 'What did you write it on?'

b

What on earth is a "handphone"?

Good question:) - I assumed an approximate meaning ('smartphone' perhaps?) Possible contributing factors to the mistake: German Handy and our own 'handset'. But I should have pointed out that it wasn't a word. :oops:

b

hi,
Please note I'm not a teacher nor a native speaker;
If someone asked what did I type with I would answer with my fingers :-?:oops:

hi,
Please note I'm not a teacher nor a native speaker;
If someone asked what did I type with I would answer with my fingers :-?:oops:

That's a perfectly good answer!

"What did you type it on?" would be a better question to lead to "On a typewriter/computer/mobile phone".

That's a perfectly good answer!

"What did you type it on?" would be a better question to lead to "On a typewriter/computer/mobile phone".
Maybe, but "A4, bond" would be a suitable answer. There really isn't enough context in the question.
"What machine did you type it on" is unambiguous, I think.

Maybe, but "A4, bond" would be a suitable answer. There really isn't enough context in the question.
"What machine did you type it on" is unambiguous, I think.

True. Another answer to "What did you write/type it on?" is "On my lap/table". We're not making this any simpler, are we? ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back