Member Type
Other
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
As the end of the school year is nearly here, and we can already smell the blissful scent of the upcoming summer break, I'm looking for the most natural expression to call the final mark you get on your diploma at the end of a school year as a result of some mathematical operations that weigh and average all the marks you've accumulated throughout the whole period.

I'm looking for something simple and casual that students could use when discussing their scholarly achievements with their peers, I guess something that would make "What did you get in math?" impossible to interpret as "What did you get on your math test?"

Could you help me find the expression I'm looking for?

Last edited:
Thiese are just quibbles, but in my part of the world:

We get a diploma not at the end of each school year but only at graduation from a level or type of school (elementary, secondary, etc.). And diplomas do not contain grades. At the end of school year we get a report card with our grades.

The only alternatives I can think of are: How did you do (or make out) in math?

The others seem natural and commonplace to me, so I'm puzzled that you call them impossible to interpret.

Last edited:
If you're asking about the final grade for the entire math course, then "What did you get in math?" works fine. However, asking "What did you get on your math test" while natural, would refer to just one test. Without further context, it would be taken to mean the last exam taken.

In much of North America (and perhaps other parts of the world as well), it's also common for a course (high school or college) to have a 'final exam' - typically a comprehensive exam over material covered throughout the term, and often worth a substantial percentage of your overall grade. Ergo, asking something like "What was your final grade?" could be ambiguous as to whether you're inquiring about the grade on the final exam, or the final grade overall for the class.

NOTE: AE math = BE maths

What did you get in maths? would be readily understood in BrE as, depending on context,

What mark did you get in the maths test or examination we you had in class recently?
What grade or mark did you get in the public examination in maths (e.g., GCSE, A Level) you took recently.

How about "What did you get in math (for) this year/semester/term?"

Sounds good. I'd omit "for".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back