What are your most useful tools for understanding linguistics?

Margaret Cavendish

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Hi everyone. If you don't' want to read about my personal situation, you can just skip to the last two lines on this post.

I am working on a historical translation of The Blazing World by Margaret Cavendish. I am not a teacher or trained in English beyond 12th grade, but I have always had a love for learning and this will be my second historical translation. Been working as a writer for years and I'm currently in school for stenographic court reporting, so I do have a passion for language.

I am wondering what tools I may be missing out on, that I could be utilizing instead. I am especially interested in 17th century English (obviously).

Currently I use Wiktionary a lot, but it does not always have enough examples and sometimes is incomplete. Etymology.com is okay. I do a lot of referencing old dictionaries and published papers to understand things sometimes. However sometimes its not enough. So here I am.

If you have any useful tools you would like to share, feel free to share them here!

Thank you in advance for your participation in this thread. I hope you have a wonderful rest of your day/night :)

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back