What are the misspellings for indelible commonly happen?

Status
Not open for further replies.

juz4joke

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Malayalam
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
please tell me What are the misspellings for indelible commonly happen?

Last edited:
Please tell me what [STRIKE]are[/STRIKE] the common misspellings [STRIKE]for[/STRIKE] of "indelible" are. [STRIKE]commonly happen?[/STRIKE]

Hello and welcome to the forum. I have made some amendments to your post above. For future reference, when posting in this forum, please follow the basic rules of written English:

- Start every sentence with a capital letter
- End every sentence with the relevant punctuation mark (full stop, question mark or exclamation mark).
- Always capitalise the word "I" (first person singular).
- Capitalise proper nouns

To answer your question, I imagine that the word is probably misspelt as:

- indellible
- indelable
- indellable

I would like to say that I don't think I've ever seen the word misspelt but that doesn't mean it doesn't happen.

I'd like to know why you're asking this question, juz4joke.

We're more accustomed to correcting misspellings than providing them.

Rover

I don't see how you could have common misspellings for uncommon words.

I think any word ending in ible will have able as a common misspelling.

I guess that kind of misspelling could be relatively common, compared to other errors, but "long story short" this wouldn't make a list of commonly misspelt words of the kind our poor students seem to want to study. :D

My problem would be that I'd end up saying "So, this is one of those common misspellings. So it's -ible, and I tend to write -able. Or wait... is it -able and I tend to write -ible? Darn - which is the right one, and which is the way I always used to mess it up? They both look right. Now, they both look wrong! ARGHHH!"

That happens to me too, with east and west. As a kid, I got them intuitively backwards, as I imagined them alphabetically, E before W, reading left to right. But the thing is, I knew I was backwards, so I'd picture them "my way" and then immediately switch them, knowing I'd then be right in what I was saying.

Unfortunately, then I started getting them right by rote. But I still had the habit of switching to correct myself. Nowadays, I always take 3/4 of a second to decide which is which, but only because of this history of taking what I remembered and reversing them.

Same with -ible and -able, once in a while, but what really gets me is -ent and -ant, especially since I"m often writing only in French for 3 or 4 months at a time, and then their spellings look awfully correct, e.g. 'indépendant".

I must be tired, I'm going on and on.

I'll always be grateful to my old geography teacher, who pointed out that WE is an actual word, whilst EW isn't.

Rover

I still have to start at the top with my finger and move round clockwise while reciting "Never Eat Shredded Wheat".

To answer your question, I imagine that the word is probably misspelt as:

- indellible
- indelable
- indellable

I would like to say that I don't think I've ever seen the word misspelt but that doesn't mean it doesn't happen.

:up: There's also inedible, but that's a typo more than a simple misspelling. I'd guess that the '-ellable-' one is the most likely*, but I wouldn't say it's common.

b

*OneLook finds 18 '-ellable' possibilities (Words that match the pattern "*ellable" - OneLook Dictionary Search ), 16 'elable' ones ( Words that match the pattern "*elable" - OneLook Dictionary Search ), only 3 '-elible' ones ( Words that match the pattern "*elible" - OneLook Dictionary Search ), and none at all for '-ellible (Words that match the pattern "*ellible" - OneLook Dictionary Search ) . So if a misspelling is to be supported by accurately spelt analogies, my money's on 'indellable'!

Last edited:
I'll always be grateful to my old geography teacher, who pointed out that WE is an actual word, whilst EW isn't.

Rover

But I gather that in some parts of the world (no names, but here's a clue:'Go West, young man'/ 'Ew, we're always going West, all my friends go East. Why can't we go East for once?') it's an accepted spelling for 'ugh' or 'eugh' or 'yuck'.

b

Your teacher hates Australia!

But I gather that in some parts of the world (no names, but here's a clue:'Go West, young man'/ 'Ew, we're always going West, all my friends go East. Why can't we go East for once?') it's an accepted spelling for 'ugh' or 'eugh' or 'yuck'.

b

I have to admit to using "Ewww" when expressing disgust in writing! But never simply "Ew".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back