What are the differences between these sentences?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dukul12345

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Bengali; Bangla
Home Country
Bangladesh
Current Location
Bangladesh
What are the defferences between these sentences---

1. Maybe she could have dumped him.
2. Maybe she would have dumped him.
3. Maybe she might have dumped him.

Context =
At the end of the day, that disappointed guy consoles himself with the thought that God's plans are better than his dreams.

They think that maybe their the relationship wouldn't have lasted, or maybe she would have dumped him or cheated on him etc.

Last edited:
Re: What are the defferences between these sentences?

What are the differences between these sentences---

1. Maybe she could have dumped him. We don't see John together with Beth any more.
2. Maybe she would have dumped him. John was acquitted of the charges.
3. Maybe she might have dumped him. John was acquitted of the charges.

Lacking context, some possibilities.

Last edited by a moderator:

Lacking context, some possibilities.

What are the main differences between could have been and would have been? Please explain it to me.

Not a teacher
------

What are the main differences between could have been and would have been? Please explain it to me.
Hello, Dukul12345!

The problem with your post, and your question, is that there is no context, as both Yankee and Piscean have already said. Could have and would have may mean a very similar thing, or a wildly different thing. Could you please write a short story about him and her that would let us know what the context is?

Last edited:

Not a teacher
------

Hello, Dukul12345!

The problem with your post, and your question, is that there is no context, as both Yankee and Piscean have already said. Could have and would have may mean a very similar thing, or a wildly different thing. Could you please write a short story about him and her that would let us know in what the context is?

At the end of the day, that disappointed guy consoles himself with the thought that God's plans are better than his dreams.

They think that maybe their the relationship wouldn't have lasted, or maybe she would have dumped him or cheated on him etc.

Why did he need to console himself. Did his girlfriend die?
No she rejected him.

Not a teacher.

It sounds like the guy had a crush on a girl that turned down his advances on her, and he's thinking about the possible outcomes of a hypothetical relationship with her, had she accepted him.

In that case, I'd go with would have dumped, because it shows speculation, and also because it matches wouldn't have lasted. I think could have lasted and could have dumped would have a similar, speculative effect.

Last edited by a moderator:

No one seems to have pointed this out before - you misspelled "differences" in both your title and your post.

... you misspelled "differences" in both your title and your post.

(I corrected them before reading that.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back