[General] What a lucky day! You got a lot of new toys.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Silverobama

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
My cousin came home with two bags of Lego toys in his mother's hands and he was so happy with an ice-cream cone. I said to him "What a lucky day! You got a lot of new toys".

Are my sentences natural?

My cousin came home with two bags of Lego toys in his mother's hands and he was so happy with an ice-cream cone. I said to him "What a lucky day! You got a lot of new toys".

Are my sentences natural?

The italic sentences are OK. The opening isn't very clear. Do you mean that your cousin came home from shopping with his mother, and his mother was carrying the new Lego toys? What's the relevance of the ice-cream? Are the two things not really connected (you connected them with "and")?

Do you mean that your cousin came home from shopping with his mother, and his mother was carrying the new Lego toys? What's the relevance of the ice-cream?

Yes. My cousin didn't have a free hand to carry his own toys because he was eating his ice-cream, which made him happier that day.

How about this?

My aunt took my cousin shopping for new Lego toys. When they got home, my aunt was carrying the toys because my cousin had his hands full with a delicious ice-cream that he was really enjoying! I said to him, "What a great day! You got a lot of new toys and an ice-cream! You're very lucky!"

My only query would be why you were at their house while they were out shopping. Do you live with them?

My only query would be why you were at their house while they were out shopping. Do you live with them?

No, not really. I have so many relatives, both remote and close. ;-)

OK, but my question remains. If you were there when they got home from shopping, you were in their house. If you don't live there, why were you there? It doesn't make any difference to the grammatical correctness of anything, but it still brings up a logic query.

OK, but my question remains. If you were there when they got home from shopping, you were in their house. If you don't live there, why were you there? It doesn't make any difference to the grammatical correctness of anything, but it still brings up a logic query.

It was a housewarming party. They live near the shopping mall and they came home before lunch. :-D

Honestly, I'm none the wiser. I still don't understand why YOU were in THEIR house when they were out shopping. However, in the great scheme of things, it doesn't really matter, I guess.

How about lucky boy instead of lucky day?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back