Academic
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
Dear Forum members,

There is a question about the usage of "in" in the following sentence, which is from a BBC news article.

There's little doubt that the Russian president is under pressure. His so-called "special military operation" in Ukraine has gone badly wrong for him.
It was supposed to last a few days. But we're nearly eight months in and there's no end in sight. (the emphasis is mine)
[from "What is Vladimir Putin thinking and planning?" (https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-63231823)]

I first wondered if there is an omission of words after the "in," such as "we're nearly eight months in [the war]." But then I am still not sure if such an omission is common or formal.
I looked up several dictionaries and tried to find a fitting definition of "in" used as an adverb, but I could not find one that really suits the above context.

The author of the quoted article also appears in a BCC news video as a reporter. At about 0:31 in the video, he also uses "in" in a similar way:

His war in Ukraine has not gone according to plan. But more than eight months in, from Vladimir Putin, there were no regrets, No remorse.
[from "Putin says world faces “most dangerous decade” since WW2 - BBC News" (
)

In both examples, getting the gist of what the author means might not be very hard, but I have a question as to how to grammatically explain the "in" in those sentences: is "in" preposition, adverb, or adjective? and which of the definitions best explains it?

Thank you very much for your reading, and I appreciate it very much if any suggestions, illuminations, or guidance would kindly be given.

Best,
Ryo

Last edited:
I'm not sure how to explain it but it's perfectly idiomatic. It means "We're nearly eight months into the war".

So I suppose it's a preposition? I'm not a grammarian. I'm not good at explaining grammar. But I know it's correct.

I first wondered if there is an omission of words after the "in," such as "we're nearly eight months in [the war]." But then I still have doubts if such an omission is common or even necessary.
Yes, there's an omission. It's short for "into the war/conflict/invasion". It's common. I don't know what you mean by "necessary" however. It's a natural and slightly informal way of putting it.

But then I still have doubts if such an omission is common or even necessary.
Your sentence isn't correctly worded. But I still doubt that such an omission is common or even necessary.

I'm not sure how to explain it but it's perfectly idiomatic. It means "We're nearly eight months into the war".

So I suppose it's a preposition? I'm not a grammarian. I'm not good at explaining grammar. But I know it's correct.

Yes, there's an omission. It's short for "into the war/conflict/invasion". It's common. I don't know what you mean by "necessary" however. It's a natural and slightly informal way of putting it.
Thank you very much for your comment, Barque.
By "necessary" I wanted to mean something like "formal" or "recommended."

According to your comment, so far it seems to me the following definition from OED best fits the context: "11. b. Included or involved in a particular enterprise, undertaking, action, etc." (Here "in" is adverb).
Example sentence: 1884 ‘M. Twain’ Adventures Huckleberry Finn xxxi. 272 "As long as I was in, and in for good, I might as well go the whole hog."

But I'm still not very sure.

so far it seems to me the following definition from OED best fits the context: "11. b. Included or involved in a particular enterprise, undertaking, action, etc." (Here "in" is adverb).
Example sentence: 1884 ‘M. Twain’ Adventures Huckleberry Finn xxxi. 272 "As long as I was in, and in for good, I might as well go the whole hog."
I agree.

The important thing is that you understand the sense, h.ryo. Finding a dictionary definition that precisely fits that, or deciding what word class/part of speech it is are not important in the grand scheme of things.

The important thing is that you understand the sense,h.ryo. FInding a dictionary definition that precisely fits that, or deciding what word class/part of speech it is are not important in the grand scheme of things.
Thank you for your advice. I agree with you. As an international Ph.D. student in English, though, I am interested more in what word class it is. Maybe I should have asked this question at a different forum.

You are welcome to ask the question here, though if you are seriously interested in word classes, I would suggest that you ask it in our linguistics section. I warn you that you won't get a definitive answer. Traditionally. 'in' would have been classed as an adverb in that sentence, though many today would consider it a preposition.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back