Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
1. We're going to hike Mount Fuji. (Kang Hsuan)
2. We're going to hike on Mount Fuji. (My sentence)

#1 is supposed to be correct. Is #2 also acceptable?

Last edited:
I think "hike up Mount Fuji" is better.

#1 is definitely wrong, but #2 is acceptable.
Consider:
We'll go hiking on Mt Fuji.
We'll go for a hike on Mt Fuji.

There's probably an AE/BE difference here.

I'm not sure how many Brits I'm speaking for as it's not something I've ever done, but in BE, people seem to say We're hiking up Snowdon next week/He hikes on Ben Nevis every weekend/They love to hike in the Cairngorms in summer.

In other words, I don't hear 'hike' followed by [insert mountains] without a preposition, unlike 'climb' which can be used without one.

To me, hiking as a leisure or fitness activity involves strenuous walking over rough terrain for a sustained period of time.

Over to you ....

You wouldn't be hiking just around the foothills, would you?
We certainly might be doing exactly that. The summits of many mountains can only be reached by climbing – not by hiking – and lots of people love to hike in the environs of mountains.

Hiking doesn't have to entail climbing at all. If you go on a hike, you simply go on a long walk. Sometimes it's uphill, sometimes downhill and sometimes on the flat.

There's probably an AE/BE difference here.

I'm not sure how many Brits I'm speaking for as it's not something I've ever done, but in BE, people seem to say We're hiking up Snowdon next week/He hikes on Ben Nevis every weekend/They love to hike in the Cairngorms in summer.

In other words, I don't hear 'hike' followed by [insert mountains] without a preposition, unlike 'climb' which can be used without one.

To me, hiking as a leisure or fitness activity involves strenuous walking over rough terrain for a sustained period of time.

Over to you ....
I'm fine with, for example, hike the Appalachian Trail, something several friends have done. Transitive hike can refer to a specific trail or region. It doesn't work as well for a mountain but it's possible.

Over to you ....

What does the quoted phrase [over to you] mean?
I was inviting others to post their views—agreeing or disagreeing.

Here's my perspective:

As a British English speaker, the transitive use of hike as in #1 sounds ever so slightly strange (that means I probably wouldn't say it), but still fine.

Regarding my own natural speech, if the place of hiking were not specific, I'd naturally use go hiking to describe a general activity rather than hike to describe an action, like this:

We're going to go hiking on Mount Fuji.

But if the aim were more specific, i.e., to reach the summit, then hike followed by a preposition phrase would be better, as it suggests a specific action:

We're going to hike up Mount Fuji.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back